Wednesday, January 19, 2011

Kiki's Valentine

  
Really, this isn't a valentine, but it's appropriate for Valentine's Day, don't you think?

One day, my daughter told me she was scared of this picture, hanging in her room:


Did I mention she's 2? She's "scared" of a lot of stuff. So I took it down. As I was laying in bed that night, I started thinking about new ways I could re-use the frame and matting. (Side note: Don't you notice that the best ideas come while laying in bed, trying to go to sleep? It's really the Golden Hour). It came to me that I should made a fabric picture out of the same BEAUTIFUL Lakehouse fabrics I used on her bunting.

However, that picture was professionally framed. It was a real bear to take apart. When I finally ripped it from the frame, I realized that the print was permanently attached to the matting. Scratch that idea.

So I went with a new frame. Actually, a re-purposed frame that my hubby brought me. I used acrylic paint to paint the shiny surface, but it did not turn out. I decided to sand it down and start over, but I ended up sort of liking the sanded, shabby look. So I kept it.

I used my reverse applique method to cut out and attach the letters and heart. I keep thinking I should add some sort of stitching to it, but I haven't decided where yet.

I love it! It goes great in her room, and I think it pretty much sums up exactly how I feel about my little Kiki :)


 Here's my little munchkin:


AND, I bought MORE Lakehouse fabric (sorry about all the caps, I'm just really excited about it!) to make her a new quilt! I haven't cut them yet, I'm still in the hugging and staring phase.

I'll be linking up to these great parties!

7 comments:

  1. OMG! I swear we had this same picture when I was growing up! A fab way to reuse the frame, looks amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love it! that's really pretty!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I linked over from Kojodesigns party. I love what you did with that frame. Super cute. I am your latest follower...your 100th...congrats. I'd love if you would come check out my blog and follow me back at www.diybydesign.blogspot.com. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  4. that is so sweet. I think my kiddos need one because they tell me that all the time! Kids are the best!

    ReplyDelete
  5. We went through the scared of everything phase, too. It ends....eventually! Love what you did with the fabric!

    Now following from http://www.babydealsdujour.com/blog
    We track all of the baby daily deals in real-time. Would love for you to stop by and follow back!

    ReplyDelete
  6. LOVE this!! I am actually featuring it for handmade features @ ladybug blessings. So come grab a button if you want :)

    www.ladybug-blessings.com

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...